One of the most important aspects of improving is keeping your practices fun.
Here are some suggestions:
- Create a playlist of your favourite songs and play along – this is very effective as a warm up to your practice session.
- Create a second playlist of songs you would like to learn and/or you find challenging.
- Record yourself and identify areas you would like to improve. Record yourself again after a few practices to see the improvement.
- Join or form a band.
- Have drum battles with other drummers (choose people who are better than you currently are) to share ideas and learn new skills.
- Work on creating new patterns and fills.
- Construct a drum solo (this is the subject of an upcoming blog).
- Set new goals – this is the gold standard for improving your enjoyment, skill set and motivation.
Try incorporating some or all of these ideas into your practicing. True enjoyment comes from the satisfaction of improving so keep at it.
Power Drumming Canada coaches beginner, intermediate and advanced drummers to be the best they can be.