Everyone is born with different levels of creativity. Some people have never tapped into their creativity and don’t know how to.
For drummers, creativity is something which can not only improve the quality of your playing but it can also make playing more interesting and challenging.
Here are some tips on how to add creativity into your playing:
- Listen to different styles of music (eg. blues, jazz, progressive, etc.)
- Listen to different drummers.
- Watch documentaries and instructional programs from top drummers.
- Meet with other drummers and compare ideas.
- Take drum lessons focusing on creativity.
- Learn about different percussion instruments.
- Learn about drumming in different cultures.
- Practice your skills in different orders each practice.
- Devote certain practice times to just trying out different ideas.
- Devote time to focusing on certain parts of the drum kit (eg. snare only, hi-hat only, etc.)
- Construct a drum solo or several solos (see previous blog).
Power Drumming Canada coaches beginner, intermediate and intermediate and advanced drummers to be the best they can be.